Today is one of those really wet, gloomy, stay inside, cuddled on the couch kind of days. We spent time reading some of our favorite books so, I thought I’d share our “go to” favorites. Usually we check out a huge stack from the library and work through the pile but, often we read the same ones from our stash over and over. My boys are just learning to read so we spend A LOT of time reading books with repetitive sight words, which gets kind of boring…. So, I am always on the hunt for good, entertaining story books since I am the one who has to read them!
You can never go wrong with Dr. Seuss! The Lorax is a favorite. My older son loves this book! And, it really starts the conversation about why it is so important to care about the environment and animals!
- Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
- If You Give A Moose A Muffin
- The Seven Silly Eaters –Any mom with more than one child will appreciate this book!!
- The Giving Tree
- Just Me and My Little Brother
- Sheep in a Jeep
- The Story of Ferdinand
- Where the Wild Things Are
- Around the World on Eighty Legs –Such a fun book! This is a poem book that is Hilarious!
- Dragons Love Tacos
- The Book with No Pictures
- Secret Pizza Party
- The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
- There Is a Bird On Your Head –These books by Mo Willems are PERFECT for beginning readers! My son can read these independently and LOVES them. Very silly books.
- The Pout-Pout Fish
The Story of Ferdinand is a MUST read. Without giving away the story, basically it is a story of a bull that would rather smell flowers than go out and fight. This book is about non violence and staying true to yourself even when others want you to do something else. Another good conversation book!!
Let me know what you think of my picks and also, what you suggest I should check out next time we are at the library or book store!!